Info Regarding “Students Say No –April 4, 2019”
April 3rd, 2019
Dear Parents / Guardians / Caregivers:
We have been made aware that across the province, on Thursday, April 4th, students are talking about walking out to demonstrate their feelings about the recent changes announced regarding our public education system.
As educators, we encourage our students to use their voices in a positive and respectful way to create change. We respect the rights of students to express their voice in this way where such actions are peaceful and safe and do not hinder the safe passage of people in our schools or the opportunity for learning and academic success.
We are committed to supporting the safe and appropriate expression of student views:
- Students should remain on school grounds at all times.
- Protests must be peaceful and respectful (adhere to the school code of conduct )
- Students choosing to participate should become informed on WHY they are protesting
- Students choosing not to participate must be allowed to do so, without pressure
- Students choosing to participate will be marked absent from their class(es)
While students are thinking about being active citizens and about how to make their voices heard, we would ask that, as a family, you discuss the issue and your student’s actions.