Virtual Library – Geography related Databases
The Virtual Library contains an array of databases. The databases are grouped and placed under different names. No password is required for school access. For home access, please check with the library for the userid and password. You can get to the Virtual Library via: KCI Library website.
The following are good starting points for Geography related databases. The description for each database is from the vendor.
A. Secondary One Step/Secondary by Subject/Secondary Reference
1. Canada in Context (Canada s provinces, people and perspectives.) Created especially for researchers and educators studying Canada, its people and its history, Canada in Context integrates the finest Gale references like Worldmark Encyclopedia of Canadian Provinces, Discovering Authors Canadian Edition, Native North American Almanac and more
2. CPI.Q (Canadian Periodical Index, Quarterly) Current periodical articles integrated with Canadian biographies, company profiles, historical information and many other types of information.
3. Global Issues in Context (Current & historical perspectives on global issues) Global Issues in Context focuses on broad issues, such as war, genocide, terrorism, human rights, poverty, famine, globalization, world trade, nuclear proliferation, and global warming, as well as more specific events and topics in the news that are related to these broader issues.
4. Canadian Points of View (Look at both sides of current, controversial issues.) The database provides information on 120 key topics of interest to Canadian researchers, each with an overview (objective background/description), point (argument), counterpoint (opposing argument), and Critical Thinking Guide. Topics covered include: environment, health, human rights, crime, race, technology and more.
5. EBSCO Cross Search This search engine allows you to search either one of more of the EBSCO databases. B. Secondary by Subjects
6. Advanced Placement Source (full-text academic journals and magazines) Advanced Placement Source contains more than 5,550 full-text academic journals and magazines and over 510,000 photos, maps and flags.
7. GreenR is a new online resource that offers authoritative content on the development of emerging green technologies and discusses issues on the environment, sustainability and more.
Grade Nine Sustainability
Grade 12 World Issues Class:
Tiny houses, laneway houses, strawbale and cob houses.
How do we choose to live? Should our houses nurture our mind, body, and soul?