***For the most up to date information, please ensure you are enrolled in your guidance counsellor’s Google Classroom and either have your notifications turned on, or are checking it regularly.***
Every student must complete a minimum of 40 hours of community involvement activities as one of the requirements for an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
The purpose of mandatory Community Involvement is:
- to encourage students to develop awareness and understanding of civic responsibility;
- to increase awareness of the role students can play and gain satisfaction from the contribution they can make in supporting and strengthening their communities;
- to develop a positive image and a greater sense of identity within the community.
As of the 2018/19 school year, all students will now be required to submit their community service hours through the MyWay portal. Instructions can be found on your Guidance Google Classroom.
For more information on the community involvement requirement, eligible community involvement activities, and to access the Community Involvement Tracking Record Sheet visit here.
Where Can I Volunteer?
Our community is in need of enthusiastic volunteers in almost every capacity; however, it may seem difficult to find something that suits your interests and abilities. Please use any of the following resources to support your search.
- Your Guidance Counsellor’s Google Classroom
- The Volunteer Action Centre website ( http://www.volunteerkw.ca )
- KCI Announcements
- Your Guidance Counsellor