- The purpose of PIC is to support, encourage and enhance the engagement of parents/guardians of the WRDSB in their children’s education, to improve student achievement and well-being
- Resources in the community, approaching mental health with children, anxiety, stress and resiliency
Resources @ KCI:
Parent Council Presentation Resources
- Guidance Counselors – Career and Individual Counseling
- Child and Youth Workers – Social-Emotional Support
- Social Workers – Social-Emotional Support and Attendance Monitoring
- Sexual Health Nurse
- Ray of Hope Community Treatment Worker – Addictions Counseling
- Transition Counselor – Grade 8-9 questions, support, tours, etc.
Parenting Your Teenager:
Family Compass Waterloo Region – If you are a parent looking for a service in our community, if you have a concern, or if you are looking for a list of amazing resources, this brand new website is for you.
WRDSB Parent Resources – A list of helpful resources and websites for questions about everything from policy to children’s mental health (provided by the WRDSB PIC)
Parent Tool Kit (Teen Edition) – a resource created by the Council of Ontario Directors of Education
“A New Kind of Parenting – Raising kids 10 to 16 years old” – Excellent video series by Dr. Jean Clinton
“Parent Further” – A great resource developed by the Search Institute in Minneapolis Minnesota
Little Black Book for Youth 2014 – A comprehensive list of the phone numbers and organizations in our community that can support your youth when they need it (help lines, job support, mental health and counseling support, shelters and much more)
Front Door – “Access to Child and Youth Mental Health Services” (a great resource for those 0-18 years and their parents)
– An affiliation of Carizon and Lutherwood (519)749-2932 (1770 King St. E. Kitchener, ON)
Other Helpful Links:
KCI Guidance – Programs, course selection, post-secondary, scholarships and bursaries, etc.
Rapid Transit Information – LRT construction, detours, etc.
CMHA – Canadian Mental Health Association
– www.cmha.ca/mylife, www.cmha.ca/highschool
Mind Your Mind – A well rounded mental health site with resources, interactive tools, many supportive videos, etc.
TED (Ideas Worth Sharing) – Speeches on various topics by some of the most innovative minds in the world
MUCH MORE TO COME…